[OS X TeX] autocomplete for references

Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Tue Jan 23 22:06:51 CET 2024

> On Jan 23, 2024, at 1:27 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <nbgarleanu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I recollect that there was such a feature — type "\ref{", or maybe even "\cite{", and a list appears. As you type characters, the choices are narrowed down appropriately. I am aware of the “Insert reference” macro, that’s not quite it. Is there a source to consult on the topic?
>
> Thank you.
> Nicolae

Howdy,

I believe you're talking about a feature that comes from an Editor/FrontEnd not LaTeX itself. What Editor/FrontEnd are you talking about?

If you are talking about TeXShop there is a button on the Source Window called Labels. Clicking on the button shows all the defined labels in your source file (only that file, not included/input files). If you don't hve that button on that toolbar you can customize the toolbar and add it: Ctl-Click (or Right-Click) on the toolbar and choose to customize the toolbar.

There is also a feature that helps with citations in a bib file opened in BibDesk. type \cite{ and the first few characters of the citation label and press F5 and BibDesk generates and TeXShop displays a list of matching citation labels that match in the bib files open in BibDesk. You select the one you want, press Return and continue.

herbs2 at mac.com

TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html