[OS X TeX] Mactex-20180417 and TexShop path problem: path not updated

Craig Marshall craig.marshall at otago.ac.nz
Mon Apr 30 03:37:19 CEST 2018

Hello All,

I’ve just installed the new version of MacTeX and have run into a problem. I can’t find a good match between my problem and what is available via Google and I’m hoping someone can help me.

After the install, which was error-free (according to the log) and updating with TLU, things worked fine.

In the interests of disk space, I removed the 2016 archive, and now I’ve run into trouble. TeXShop no longer compiles and complains about missing tools.

The error message is:

/Users/Newnesi/Library/TeX/LocalTeX/texbin/pdflatex does not exist. TeXShop is a front end for TeX, but you also need a TeX distribution. Perhaps such a distribution was not installed or was removed during a system upgrade. If so, go to http://tug.org/mactex and follow the instructions to install MacTeX or BasicTeX.

In the TexShop preferences,  /Users/Newnesi/Library/TeX/LocalTeX/texbin/ is the path and going to that location I find that there are links to the 2016 version of TeX.

So, the problem is found, but I’m not sure how I fix this.

For some reason, these links have apparently not been updated and presumably, although keeping MacTeX 2017 up-to-date, I’ve really been using the 2016 executables for some time.

Can anyone point me to the fix for updating these links now and keeping them updated in the future.

Many thanks

Craig

--
Craig Marshall <craig.marshall at otago.ac.nz<mailto:craig.marshall at otago.ac.nz>>