[OS X TeX] An ounce of prevention...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 9 15:26:57 CET 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Vic Norton wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> We expect to have MacTeX-2009 out in a few days rather than weeks!
>> So you may want to install that over the older system
>
> I'm running MacTeX-2008 right now with Lucida and MathTimesPro2
> installed in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
>   1) Will MacTeX-2009 see these fonts automatically when I install it?

Howdy,

Not quite! Even though the fonts wont have to be re-installed you'll
have to ``tell'' the 2009 TeX system that the fonts are there and how
to use them using the usual

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mymap.map

for each of the map files, mymap.map. Those map files should be /usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/maps/ or sub-directories of that
directory. I've created a shell script, that I store in /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local/scripts/, that I run after installing a new MacTeX.

>   2) My url and hyperref packages don't quite work properly in
>      MacTeX-2008. When URLs are split, earlier parts point to the
> wrong
>      places. I'd just as soon get rid of MacTeX-2008 when MacTeX-2009
>      is installed properly. How do I do this? Just trash the
>      /usr/local/texlive/2008 directory?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

A known problem of Apple's PDFKit framework under OS X 10.6 at this
time; the same pdf works properly under 10.5. Let's hope it gets fixed
in 10.6.2 (or 3?).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)