[OS X TeX] BBEdit integration scripts / interactive mode

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 28 05:33:21 CEST 2008

On Sep 27, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 27 sep 2008, at 02:06, Richard Seguin wrote:
>
>> Maarten Sneep's "Run pdflatex" script invokes a nonstop typeset
>> mode. Has anyone successfully modified this script so that it
>> invokes an interactive typeset, i.e., it stops at the first error
>> like TeXShop does? It would also be nice if the terminal window
>> could be moved to the foreground when there is an error, but I
>> imagine that this may not be easy if not impossible.
>
> I could add a "debug" option, which you can run in case of trouble.
> I tried to run in modes other than nonstop, and found that annoying.
> Latex will not finish when an error occurs and it is run in anything
> other than nonstop mode, it will just sit and way for input. This
> means that the only way to continue in that mode is to always bring
> the terminal forward before a run, error or no error (and perhaps
> send it to the background if all went fine). This is something I do
> not want myself. If you fancy this, the calls are in the CompileTeX-
> engine shell script. Be sure to add lines that look like
>
> osascript -e 'tell application "Terminal" to activate'
> and
> osascript -e 'tell application "BBedit" to activate'
>
> in strategic locations.
>
> Note that the full compile will run the file and go the the
> indicated source of the error if an error is detected.
>
> Best,
>
> Maarten

I think that Herb is correct in that the best place to invoke these
sorts of typesetting options is at the beginning of the .tex file. If
I use \errorstopmode I can typeset multiple times without bringing the
terminal forward. Normally after a few seconds (with a long document)
Skim indicates that it is reloading the PDF file. When there is a
latex error, it fails to do this, and it's obvious that there's a
problem. I just bring the terminal forward, examine the error message,
enter "q", the compile finishes up in a second or two, and it's ready
for the next compile after I correct the error in the source.

I'm not sure what you mean by

> Note that the full compile will run the file and go the the
> indicated source of the error if an error is detected.

When I run in nonstop mode, Skim reloads the PDF file without
complaint even when there is an error, and if I think there may have
been an error, I have to bring the terminal forward and then scroll up
to find an error message.

I might add that the latest version of Skim, which appeared a day or
two ago, seems to be reloading the PDF files more quickly than the
previous version.

Richard Séguin