[OS X TeX] your wiki needs you?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:25:06 CEST 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> WYSIWYG looks easy but fine tuning sometimes is extremely difficult
> especially with graphics and the results are far from perfect.

Absolutely.

In fact, the one great thing about LaTeX is that there is always a
package out there that will help you do exactly what you envision.

But to oppose WYSIWYG and command line is a false dichotomy.

What I imagine is, above a small core of packages, something along
the lines of TeXShop with the LaTeX panel and maybe a few other
panels better integrated than they are now together with something
like flashmode—although I must say that I have yet to try the latter.

Perhaps it might even be possible to have an intermediate view of the
source in which the commands would not be visible and some of the
formatting might be simulated in the source.

In other words, something that, for "ordinary" mathematics, would
have some of the look and feel of word processors. But the usual view
of the source, with all the commands, would still be available in
which all packages could be used as they are now. But, I would think
that the less esoteric ones would eventually acquire whatever would
be necessary to be displayed in the intermediate view.

In other words, LaTeX could then not only do exactly what you want
but the "price" would also be exactly what you are willing to pay,
not the "take it or leave it" which is the current state of affairs.

Regards
--schremmer