[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008; download sites and some answers

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 2 15:08:07 CEST 2008

On Sep 1, 2008, at 7:00 PM, N Shah wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Given that I use other parts of ImageMagick besides 'convert' and
> that MacTeX 2008 (and, presumably 2009 going foward) don't include
> those pieces, I've decided to install ImageMagick via MacPorts.
> This is all well and good, MacTex need not install every useful but
> not TeX related piece of software.
>
> When I do install MacTeX 2008 in a few days time it will not, as Dr.
> Koch pointed out, replace the existing (MacTeX 2007) installation of
> ImageMagick (or will it?).  Rather it will (I think) simply replace
> 'convert' with the statically linked binary referred to in the
> release notes.
>
> My question therefore is how do I uninstall the MacTeX 2007
> ImageMagick so that it won't conflict with my soon-to-be-installed
> MacPorts copy.  Normally, I'm able to figure out how to uninstall
> stuff but ImageMagick with its many bits and pieces spread out over
> many directories seems to a bit of a mystery.
>
> Uninstallation of unix software on my Mac has always perplexed me.
> General guidance in that regard would also be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Nirav

Howdy,

The version of ImageMagick installed by MacTeX 2007 is the same as
that installed by Gerben Wierda's i-Installer. He updated the i-
Installer version of ImageMagick so the easiest the easiest way to
update is simply to use i-Installer to install over the older version.
If you want to remove the older version use i-Installer to remove the
older version.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)