[OS X TeX] installing package exceltex on Mac OS X

Gert van Oss gertmt at mac.com
Wed May 7 21:43:09 CEST 2008

Not being a regular reader of the list I tried to find something about
installing packages on Mac OS X (Leopard). Untill now didn't feel
confident with what I found. Maybe someone on this list can help me in
the right direction?

I would like to install the package "exceltex" (http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~doerr/exceltex/#probs
) on my Mac. I've leopard and a Latex installation straight from http://www.tug.org/mactex/
](http://www.tug.org/mactex/ but I've no clue how exactly to do the
installation even after reading the little note that comes with the
For installation just copy the exceltex helper script somewhere in your
PATH for example $HOME/bin or /usr/local/bin, and make sure it is

The readimg.sty file should be copied somewhere LaTeX can find it,
$HOME/texmf/tex/latex/misc or /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc. Dont
forget to run 'texconfig rehash' afterwards.

Thats it.

I'm comfortable with Perl (SpreadSheet::ParseExcel) but just don't
know anything about installing Latex. Just to scared to ruin my Latex.
Any assistance that explains me what $HOME is or where I should
install these two files would be great.