[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:12:54 CET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 12:29 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 13 dec 2008, at 18:18, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> Just googled "Unix for OS X" and immediately found "Mac OS X For
>> Unix Geeks, 4th Edition" exactly the dual of what I need. OK, will
>> try harder later on.
>
> Not the book I'd recommend: it assumes you know how to use Unix,
> and then teaches the specifics of Unix utilities on Mac OS X.

That was exactly my point: Me No Unix Geek

> On the Ars Technica forums, I produced this list with comments.
>
> I'd stick with an O'Reilly book. They are generally good for this
> type of instruction.
>
> "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition" -- This
> is aimed at switchers, I doubt it has anything about the terminal
> in it.
>
> "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual" -- Although aimed at “Mac
> users of all technical levels and experience”, I still doubt it
> deals with the terminal.

It doesn't. And, in any case, I am still with Tiger. Considering the
traffic on, e.g. tlmgr, I consider myself fortunate.

> "Mac OS X For Unix Geeks, Fourth Edition" -- Although it promises a
> “complete tour of Mac OS X's Unix shell for Leopard and Tiger”, it
> assumes quite a lot of prior knowledge and experience with the
> terminal. Don't have it, would not recommend to the OP (whatever he
> means with “learning the terminal”).
>
> "bash Cookbook" -- This teaches you the bash shell. Some may not
> like bash (they like to “bash” it, and hopefully prefer the Korn
> shell over it – kill csh), it is the default shell, and essential
> in many ways to the operation of a Unix system. Might be useful,
> although not the best starter book.

That takes care of me: Hey, I don't even know the difference between
bash and Kom! I once looked up bash in Wikipedia and …

> "Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell" -- Although still referring to
> Tiger, I think this is a great introduction. Previous editions used
> the tcsh, as it was the default back then, but the BSD layer of
> Tiger is not too different from Leopard that it becomes unusable. I
> have an older edition, and like the introduction + reference style
> combination of it. I can imagine that if you you have no previous
> experience with a shell, this might be less useful. It includes an
> introduction for interactive use.

Mmmm. I will have to look it up.

> "Classic Shell Scripting" -- This teaches shell scripting to a
> rather advanced level. Starting from zero, the learning curve might
> be steep, but it is easy to read, and gets you to a level that is
> certainly above average. Includes some focus on security as well -
> although there are better references for that. Notice that this is
> scripting, not interactive use, although the distinction is blurry.
> Have it, like it, not sure I recommend it to OP.

Whatever OP stands for, I think I will pass that one.

> "Learning the bash Shell, Third Edition" -- Good introduction to
> the bash shell, including interactive use and scripting. Don’t have
> it, would probably recommend to OP.

Sounds good, will look it up.

> "Learning Unix for Mac OS X Tiger" -- The abstract almost read as
> if it was written for the OP, but it deals with Tiger. It seems
> limited to the Mac OS X specific parts accesible from the terminal.
> Recommended with care.

I just looked up Reilly and noticed it. If worse comes to worst, I
can always buy both. (Budget cuts don't seem to threaten me.)

> Original thread with more comments and books over here:
>
> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/
> 862009175931?r=890009475931

I will check that sometimes this weekend along with the archive of
this list.

Grateful regards
--schremmer