[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 13 18:50:01 CET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 13 dec 2008, at 18:18, Alain Schremmer wrote:

(snipping...)

> "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual" -- Although aimed at “Mac
> users of all technical levels and experience”, I still doubt it
> deals with the terminal.

In fact, the follow up to this (Mac OS X Tiger: The Missing Manual) by
David Pogue devotes almost fifty pages to Unix and Terminal commands.
I do not know the successor volume (Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing
Manual) but I doubt it removes these sections. (It's a big book; 847
pp. Chapter 16, "Terminal: Doorway to Unix" runs from pp 573 to 599,
and Chap. 17, "Fun with Terminal" runs from pp 601-620. Lists for
29.95 USD.)

As always, I encourage people to look at abebooks.com for cheap copies
of books. My guess is that the Tiger version of Pogue's missing manual
may prove very helpful, and as it is a version behind, it might be
found inexpensively at abebooks or elsewhere.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools