[OS X TeX] converting crossref

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Jul 23 01:42:54 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 15:43 , Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 15:01, Justin C. Walker wrote:

>>> I'm curious: why do you use this instead of crossrefs?  Does it
>>> work for any field?  (yeah, I could try that for myself...I'm
>>> lazy ;)
>>
>> My Mom never mentioned that feature.  I don't know that it's
>> limited to the Booktitle field.
>
> Your Mom uses BibTeX?

To be honest, no.  I was speaking metaphorically :-}

>> Also, the BibDesk doc implies that the crossref'd entry lives in
>> the same file with the crossrefee ("...all parent items must
>> follow their children...").  Am I misreading this?
>
> I don't know.  There are restrictions on the order of items for
> crossrefs to work properly (the parent must follow the child in the
> file), but it's possible that they can live in separate files, as
> long as the parent file is read last.  None of BibDesk's crossref
> display/search/sort features would work in the case of separate
> files, though.

I did a bit of playing with this.  It seems to be no better than my
use of "\cite{}" in "booktitle{}", but perhaps there is more
flexibility with the former.  My first attempt also got 'bibtex' kind
of annoyed with me, but we settled that, I think :-}

>> As it stands, the title shows up (both in the preview window and
>> the actual PDF) with a properly accented 'e'.  Does this mean the
>> proper character is being displayed?  I ask simply out of
>> ignorance :-}
>
> Sorry, I should have been more clear:  BibDesk converts Unicode<-
> >TeX automatically when saving and reading files, if the
> appropriate box is checked in the Files preference pane.  This
> makes searching, viewing, and sorting a bit nicer.

Eewww: you mean actual unreadable gunk in the files?  Ick.  It's
ASCII for me; all this newfangled UTF encoding just makes it hard to
read ;-}

Thanks!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income