[OS X TeX] converting crossref

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jul 23 01:55:16 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 16:42, Justin C. Walker wrote:

>>> As it stands, the title shows up (both in the preview window and
>>> the actual PDF) with a properly accented 'e'.  Does this mean the
>>> proper character is being displayed?  I ask simply out of
>>> ignorance :-}
>>
>> Sorry, I should have been more clear:  BibDesk converts Unicode<-
>> >TeX automatically when saving and reading files, if the
>> appropriate box is checked in the Files preference pane.  This
>> makes searching, viewing, and sorting a bit nicer.
>
> Eewww: you mean actual unreadable gunk in the files?

Certainly not.  I mean readable Unicode characters such as ü are
displayed in BibDesk, but it converts that to the less readable {\"u}
when saving the file...so you can still use /bin/ed to edit it if you
want :).  This is particularly convenient when you copy/paste from
sources that display accented characters.

> Ick.  It's ASCII for me; all this newfangled UTF encoding just makes
> it hard to read ;-}

Maybe we just have different ideas of what "readable" actually means...

--
Adam