[OS X TeX] Configure TeXshop to use ``ANT''?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Oct 13 14:15:48 CEST 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 7:39 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Browsing through the manual of ant I can't tell what its advantage
> over tex should be,

As I noted previously:

    ...In particular it has a _way_
    cool layout model which supports
    multiple over-lapping ``galleys''
    which should solve all sorts of
    multiple column graphics placement
    issues (that's what I'm working on
    right now)

I got started on it before XeTeX came to Windows, so was interested
in it for its OpenType support as well, though that advantage has
been ameliorated.

Also, since the implementation language is different it avoids some
of the side effect issues in (La)TeX.

> however, I strongly assume that for people writing mathematics in
> one way or the other tex, latex should be the way to go. I
> personally never had the feeling that latex was too cumbersome and
> hindering my "creativity",

One of the things I'm trying out is typesetting using the ``Bordas''
style of paragraph division and Achim was kind enough to add a
feature in ANT which should help me to implement that.

Can't find an image on-line, but I used this style in:

http://members.aol.com/willadams/portfolio/typography/theriver.pdf

I puzzled for quite a while trying to get that effect in Plain or
LaTeX w/ a level of automation appropriate to typesetting one of (all
of?) William Morris' novels....

> on the contrary, I love it - including the various packages and tools.

I love (La)TeX as well, but I'm lazy, and tired of struggling w/
TeX's float placement --- ANT looks to have some nice capabilities
along those lines.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.