[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Mar 16 12:15:01 CET 2006

On 16.03.2006, at 12:09, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 16 mars 06 à 11:02, Jérôme Laurens a écrit :
>
>> Le 14 mars 06, à 22:48, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>>
>>> Unfortunately not. Similarly it's very inconvenient in Mail to
>>> have to switch dictionaries manually all day long, when writing
>>> indifferently messages in several languages (in my case two:
>>> French and English).
>>
>> Pages can use different dictionaries/languages in the same document.
>> So this is perfectly possible with OS X to do such a thing.
>> The Pages user is expected to add a language attribute to any part
>> of the text.
>> This language attribute is stored in the file.
>>
>> Doing such a thing is not possible with mail, because the mail
>> file format does not authorize it.
>> It is not a limitation of Mac OS X, but a limitation on the mail
>> system.
>
> Sorry, I'd been unclear. What I referred to wasn't being unable to
> use multiple dictionaries within the same email message, but having
> to switch dictionaries constantly through the Spelling panel when
> writing one message in French, then one in English, then another in
> French, and so forth.
>
> The problem here (IMO) isn't the functionality, but the interface:
> it would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to switch between
> dictionaries, in the same way as Cmd-Space rotates between Input
> Methods (ie French keyboard, Numerical French keyboard, American
> keyboard etc.) in the International pref panel and menu; otherwise
> you have to navigate through Edit > Spelling > Spelling... (or use
> Cmd-:) -- no this isn't a smiley --, then select the appropriate
> dictionary in the Dictionary pull-down menu.

That would be nice. Something I'd also like to see is the ability to
sync personal dictionaries among different machines via .Mac. I even
mailed the author of CocoaSpell about this, but he didn't react.

Anyway, this is definitely an area where Apple can and should improve.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick