[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Mar 16 15:39:36 CET 2006

Le 16 mars 06, à 12:09, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 16 mars 06 à 11:02, Jérôme Laurens a écrit :
>
>> Le 14 mars 06, à 22:48, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>>
>>> Unfortunately not. Similarly it's very inconvenient in Mail to have
>>> to switch dictionaries manually all day long, when writing
>>> indifferently messages in several languages (in my case two: French
>>> and English).
>>
>> Pages can use different dictionaries/languages in the same document.
>> So this is perfectly possible with OS X to do such a thing.
>> The Pages user is expected to add a language attribute to any part of
>> the text.
>> This language attribute is stored in the file.
>>
>> Doing such a thing is not possible with mail, because the mail file
>> format does not authorize it.
>> It is not a limitation of Mac OS X, but a limitation on the mail
>> system.
>
> Sorry, I'd been unclear. What I referred to wasn't being unable to use
> multiple dictionaries within the same email message, but having to
> switch dictionaries constantly through the Spelling panel when writing
> one message in French, then one in English, then another in French,
> and so forth.

My answer was attempting to cover both Rolf's remark and yours.

> The problem here (IMO) isn't the functionality, but the interface: it
> would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to switch between
> dictionaries, in the same way as Cmd-Space rotates between Input
> Methods (ie French keyboard, Numerical French keyboard, American
> keyboard etc.) in the International pref panel and menu; otherwise you
> have to navigate through Edit > Spelling > Spelling... (or use Cmd-:)
> -- no this isn't a smiley --, then select the appropriate dictionary
> in the Dictionary pull-down menu.

This is just pushing the problem a little further.
I let you imagine what happens when you edit at the same time 2
documents in different languages... each time you change your window
you have to change your dictionary accordingly. From that POV, the
Pages approach is the good one, and this is not just a question of UI.

Actually, there is indeed a mean to avoid switching dictionaries, you
just have to organize your work more efficiently. You can either learn
spelling :-( or you can write letters one day in english only and in
french the other one:-)