[OS X TeX] Newbie questions:

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 19:09:15 CEST 2006

Arno Kruse wrote:

> Am 08.06.2006 um 13:31 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Le 8 juin 06 à 12:28, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>>
>>> It's not that easy: you need, as I was complaining on the MacTeX
>>> list, a decent ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist for this to work. (I
>>> think I made earlier this year enough experiments on this topic in
>>> Mac OS X 10.4/Tiger in bash or tcsh based environments to state
>>> this. But I am still curious if there is a way to solve this with RC
>>> files!)
>>

>> Regarding these experiments on the MacTeX list, is there some
>> repository from which the original poster or any other X11-oriented
>> list subscriber can download the latest version of your archive
>> MacTeX_and_X11.zip? Or is it included in the MacTeX distro? (I
>> haven't attempted to install this distro, being too much at ease with
>> the TeXShop/i-Installer combination after years of use to consider a
>> switch.)
>

> I have chosen the text above as an example: During the last weeks I
> feel more and more helpless, because I do not understand what Bruno,
> Peter and many other are talking about. I do not understand the
> problems nor do I understand the answers.
>
> Is this the false list for me? Am I alone so stupid not to understand?
> Is it necessary to be an expert if I only want to use (La) TeX and get
> informations?
>
> I hoped to get old without becoming senile. My doubts arise.

Look at it this way:

A list solely for LaTeXmoron would, ipso facto, be useless and having to
trash all these answers you and I don't understand—and which are to
questions that, anyway, are of no interest to us to begin with and that
we didn't ask in the first place—is a very small price to pay for
getting answers to the questions that we do ask and whose answers we can
trust won't mess up our stuff even if we don't always quite understand them.

A couple of years ago, I was a 100% LaTeXmoron. Now I am only a 90%
LaTeXmoron. Most of the improvement I credit to the help I got on this
list. And in fact, some of what I got here—and use—I don't really
understand. But it was given to me on this list in terms I could
understand enough to use safely and get on with my work.

I would add that this list has helped me getting real close to age 70
without feeling I am getting senile. But then of course, how would I know?

Regards
--schremmer