[OS X TeX] Re: A Textures Query

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Sep 16 10:17:21 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:54:25PM -0400, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
> >On 15 Sep 2005, at 21:12, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> >

> >>On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Jack Kuipers wrote:
>
> If you can print your Textures to a PostScript file, then you can
> create a PDF. There are tools for making pages of PDFs into eps
> files, including Acrobat itself. It is a somewhat tortuous route, but
> it is possible.
>
> Stephen Moye

The PostScript file may contain information to identify individual
pictures. In the case of dvips, this information even includes
filenames, solving the naming problem.

In a PostScript to pdf conversion, such information would almost
certainly get lost, and you would have to lift the pictures manually
out of the containing page. If you do it with a program such as
Illustrator then you might run into Illustrator's mishandling of TeX
fonts, if they are used in your pictures.

Such a procedure would be a headache, but still doable. At one time,
I have used printing-to-pdf and Illustrator to lift pictures out of
a Maple file. This took me 2 or 3 days.

Conversion between eps and pdf can be done with Unix command-line
tools.

--
Siep Kroonenberg