[OS X TeX] Re: A Textures Query

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Fri Sep 16 11:15:30 CEST 2005

On Sep 16, 2005, at 4:17 AM, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:54:25PM -0400, Stephen Moye wrote:

>> If you can print your Textures to a PostScript file, then you can
>> create a PDF. There are tools for making pages of PDFs into eps
>> files, including Acrobat itself. It is a somewhat tortuous route, but
>> it is possible.
>>
>> Stephen Moye
>>

> The PostScript file may contain information to identify individual
> pictures. In the case of dvips, this information even includes
> filenames, solving the naming problem.
>
> In a PostScript to pdf conversion, such information would almost
> certainly get lost, and you would have to lift the pictures manually
> out of the containing page. If you do it with a program such as
> Illustrator then you might run into Illustrator's mishandling of TeX
> fonts, if they are used in your pictures.
>
> Such a procedure would be a headache, but still doable. At one time,
> I have used printing-to-pdf and Illustrator to lift pictures out of
> a Maple file. This took me 2 or 3 days.
>
> Conversion between eps and pdf can be done with Unix command-line
> tools.
>
> --
> Siep Kroonenberg

If he is going to use pdflatex, then there is no need for eps files
at all -- you could simply copy and paste the graphics from Textures
PDF document to another. Then again, Acrobat 7 (and maybe 6) has a
function to extract graphics, though I am not certain how this works.

Mind you, the way I read the original post, the graphics were
embedded in the Textures document, meaning, I presume, that the
original graphics were no longer available. Is this true? If so, then
about the only thing you can do is to print the Textures file to a
PostScript file and produce a PDF from that. Is the Textures
Scrapbook being used? Certainly it would be better to start with the
original illustrations and work with those if this is possible. Then
again, what is actually stored in the Textures file resource fork:
the contents of the graphic itself, and/or a screen/pict preview? If
only the latter then there are problems...