[OS X TeX] Double-spacing in captions, address on title page

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 3 19:52:05 CEST 2005

Sorry, this is not a very helpful reply, more a warning _not_ to
spend to much time on the issue.

On 3 Sep 2005, at 18:28, Denis Chabot wrote:

> I am preparing a manuscript for submission to an Elsevier journal.
> Elsevier provides a template using their own class, as well as a
> bst style (I wish more journals did this). Unfortunately their
> class does not meet the requirements of the particular journal I'll
> be submitting to (weird he?).

They have a single class for all their journals, and two (very buggy)
bst style files to match them. For the bst file: just create a proper
one with makebst in the terminal. As for matching the the class: I
never bothered: Elsevier has its own (internal) style-files that
they'll use to produce the final output. It is much more important
(to them) that you'll use their standard class, as they know how to
handle that.

> I need line numbering and there are strange interactions between
> their class and lineno package.

You could temporarily exchange the elsevier class for the standard
article class to get line numbers - you may need to define some
commands (\address{} comes to mind). I assume this is for exchange
between multiple authors, the pre-print gets the linenumbers added by
Elsevier.

> Furthermore I don't know how to get their title page to be
> numbered, and I have a couple of other problems as well.

Don't bother, it isn't worth the effort, in my experience, you'll
have to submit sources anyway. The copy you have to submit (in double
space) for the reviewers, and to tell Elsevier about the contents as
you intended it. They'll change the typefaces anyway.

> Therefore I'm switching to the memoir class to achieve the look of
> their class (plus packages setspace and lineno). I am getting there
> except for the following problem: figure captions are not double-
> spaced. I read in a FAQ that it was on purpose, but this journal
> wants everything double-spaced. Is there a way to do this?

Probably there is, I'm not sure it is worth it - double space is
ugly, and Memoir is designed to produce beautiful texts.

> While I am at it, how do people on this list handle addresses on
> the title page.

I don't know how it can be done in Memoir, but again the class files
for journals have special code to handle these cases.

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>