[OS X TeX] Footnote formatting

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 18 14:51:23 CET 2005

Hello Malcolm,

On 18/03/2005, at 2:27 PM, Malcolm Ross wrote:

> This is not strictly an OS X question, for which I apologise.
>
> When I format the file of an article in LaTeX using article.cls, the
> footnotes protude both right and left  beyond the margins of the body
> text.

Have you modified anything that the .cls file normally sets ?

I've never seen this kind of effect before, and find it hard to believe
that it occurs in one of the standard \LaTeX\ classes.
Please post an example consisting of:

   a.  a source document which shows this behaviour when processed on
your system;
   b.  the .log file when you run this on your system;
   c.  any extra packages that you load, that aren't part of the standard
        (La)TeX distribution.

Please try to reduce the example as much as possible, so that there is
no
need to download extra images, etc.

> If I format the same file using report.cls, the footnotes have the
> same margins as the body text.

That is what should happen.
So there must be some kind of conflict.

> I would like to modify article,cls formatting so that the footnotes
> and the body text have the same margins.
I doubt very much that that is where the error lies.

> I haven't been able to find any references to this difference in any
> LaTeX documentation (which probably means I'm not looking in the right
> places). The difference seems to lie in a specification of narrower
> body text in article.cls, but I can't locate the relevant variable.
> Can anyone tell me how to make this modification?
>
> Malcolm Ross

Best regards,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>