[OS X TeX] Nice, sans-serif condensed (non-bold) font?

Doug Fields dfields-macosx-tex-0205 at pexicom.com
Mon Mar 14 19:23:13 CET 2005

Hello all,

After spending a fair bit of time this morning dealing searching online
and through the LaTeX Companions, I'm drawing a blank. I apologize if
this is an inappropriate post, because I've noted similar things posted
in the past (though, hopefully, not this exact query).

Is there a way (with G.W.'s i-Installer packages installed) to get a
clean-looking, condensed, sans-serif font?

The closest things I've found are:

\fontfamily{cmss}\fontseries{sbc}\selectfont
	and
\fontfamily{phv}\fontseries{mc}\selectfont

The first of which uses the semi-bold, condensed Computer Modern. It's
almost what I want, but without the semi-bold. (It's also not my
favorite font, but I care more about the right type of font than the
particular font I use.) The second is Helvetica Narrow. The problem
with this font seems to be that the "ex" height is greater than the
regular fonts, despite the characters being more narrow, making text
lines which mix fonts look very odd.

Too bad I can't just take the regular sans serif font and force it to
be condensed on the fly (which probably wouldn't look that great,
anyway). :)

Does anyone know a decent condensed font without bold and without
having overly-tall lowercase characters ("ex" height)?

Also, I use these commands in the preamble:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

This font is not used for the main document text, so no need to warn me
about how terrible it will be to read. :)

There are about 3,273,991 fonts in /usr/local/teTeX, so I figure
someone's encountered them. Does anyone know a way to LaTeX to generate
a document of all installed fonts on the system?

Thanks,

Doug

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>