[OS X TeX] trouble making TeXShop work for me

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 6 15:57:22 CET 2005

On 3/6/05 7:33 AM, "rbmjk at alltel.net" <rbmjk at alltel.net> wrote:

> I am experienced with TeX but new to TeX on the MAC.
>
> I have a (plain) TeX file called slides2.tex. I TeX it using TeXShop.
> I get the error message:
>
>   I can't find the file /home/kellogg/info/tex/macros
>
> In fact, slides2.tex contains no such line!! It did in previous incarnations
> that I also tried, unsuccessfully, to TeX using TeXShop, but no longer.
> I searched through the file, but it is not there. What to do?

Howdy,

I doubt that you have a directory /home/... at all on your system. If you
don't have the \input of that file (macros.tex ?) in your slides2.tex file
I'd guess it is in one of your included files. Please post the complete
console output or, better, the contents of the .log file. At least that will
show us the nesting level of the file.

> Maybe TeXShop is using my previous version of slides2.tex. I looked
> in ~/Library/texmf and in ~/Library/texmf/tex/plain, but nothing is
> there except a single file, called pdfsync.tex that I wonder might
> somehow be the culprit. I tried this with slides2.tex in
> Documents, in ~/Library/texmf, and in ~/Library/texmf/tex/plain,
> the same thing happened. I opened a terminal shell, went to the
> appropriate directory, and typed "tex slides2.tex", and the same thing
> happened.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I sure would like to TeX this file.

If you place the macros.tex file in ~/Library/texmf/tex/plain/ just use

\include macros

and it should get found.

Again, I think we need to see more information before we can really diagnose
the problem.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>