[OS X TeX] overview of what TeX is producing

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 2 00:26:14 CET 2005

On 1 mrt 2005, at 20:33, William F. Adams wrote:

> InDesign gets one TeX's H&J w/ a couple of bells and whistles.

I've put up a page with a small comparison between various H&J engines.
     http://www.nat.vu.nl/~sneep/ars/type/
(the "ars" is not a description of what most of them look like, but a
reference to
ArsTechnica.com, where some of the samples come from). Further samples
are
welcome.

> In return one loses pretty much all programmability, w/ numbering
> (other than pages)
> provided as an afterthought by the Pagemaker plug-in pack --- as one
> person noted,
> it's so bad ``you'd laugh until it hurts''.
>
> One _can_ set it up to typeset XML though, so if one works up a
> compleat XML workflow
> which numbers things it might be workable.

That hurts. But if you're going for an XML workflow, you might just as
well use TeX as a
backend as well… (ConTeXt, xmltex and some xslt routes that produce
LaTeX).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>