[OS X TeX] overview of what TeX is producing

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Mar 2 00:57:46 CET 2005

On 2 Mar 2005, at 9:56 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 1 mrt 2005, at 20:33, William F. Adams wrote:
>
>> InDesign gets one TeX's H&J w/ a couple of bells and whistles.
>
> I've put up a page with a small comparison between various H&J engines.
>     http://www.nat.vu.nl/~sneep/ars/type/
> (the "ars" is not a description of what most of them look like, but a
> reference to
> ArsTechnica.com, where some of the samples come from). Further samples
> are
> welcome.

Wow, very nice!
Some comments:

Shouldn't the descriptions of the two TextEdit samples be reversed?
(Why is the "non-hyphenated" sample trying to score extra points?)

It doesn't look like the LaTeX protrusion and expansion sample is what
it claims to be...it at least doesn't seem to use char protrusion but
my eyes aren't good enough to judge whether it uses expansion (could it
have been turned off because font embedding wasn't turned on?). But
it's set differently to the other LaTeX examples. Hmmm, puzzling.

Also, you don't specify if \sloppy was used for the prot/extrude
samples. Was it?

I think I saw a typo somewhere: "teh" :)

It would be good (I'm not nominating you! just hypothetically:) to
create some sort of poster sheet with several examples and big red
circles around the ugly things with some explanation...provided there
weren't too many red circles around the TeX examples :)

Thanks,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>