[OS X TeX] Textencoding MacOS Roman vs UTF-8

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Nov 22 14:20:28 CET 2004

PD> Am 21.11.2004 um 17:19 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

>> Morning.
>>
>> What encoding do you use and why? I think, the MacOS Roman/applemac
>> encoding is very specific and unique. And UTF-8 is more compatible. But
>> I'm really a greenhorn concerning that matter.

PD> Hello!

PD> Mac OS X is UTF-8 based (as Linux or MS Windows meanwhile too). Meaning:
PD> text is Unicode. Unicode starts with ISO Latin-1/15. So make it easy and

Only in the sense that the first 128 character codes in Unicode coincide
with Latin-1 (NOT with Latin-15, not even if you mean iso-8859-15
(latin-9).
But there is no standard file encoding for Unicode that coincides with the
latin-1 encoding. Certainly not with utf-8.

PD> use T1 in (La)TeX. Because it's (almost) everywhere meaning the same and
PD> showing up as the same.

The use of T1 in LaTeX has nothing to do with the encoding of your input
files. There are good reasons to use the T1 font encoding for most of the
(western) european languages, but using utf-8 or latin-1 for your input
files is not one of them.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>