[OS X TeX] Textencoding MacOS Roman vs UTF-8

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Nov 22 07:43:55 CET 2004

On 22 Nov 2004, at 2:49 AM, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> What encoding do you use and why? I think, the MacOS Roman/applemac
> encoding is very specific and unique. And UTF-8 is more compatible.
> But I'm really a greenhorn concerning that matter.

I've used unicode since I learned (learnt?) how to set it as the
default in TeXShop's preferences and learned (learnt?) how to get TeX
to understand it. Rather than being more compatible now (latin1 is
probably more compatible with the vast majority of computers in use
today), it most definitely will be compatible in the future. The
applemac (in TeX parlance) encoding shouldn't even be considered,
really.

And besides, with unicode files the transition between TeX and XeTeX
becomes even easier.

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>