[OS X TeX] installing texlive

George Ghio ghiog at netconnect.com.au
Wed Jun 30 15:37:45 CEST 2004

On 30/06/2004, at 6:27 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 30 jun 2004, at 10:11, George Ghio wrote:
>
>> What I have is bash. I have installed Tex to '/usr/local/teTex'
>>
>> 'export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/teTex/bin:~/bin:/sw/bin'
>>
>> Would this be right?
>
> Does the /usr/local/teTex/bin directory hold the tex binary? IIRC with
> TeXLive the actual executable files live in and "architecture
> directory' (as TL can be installed on a file server and serve multiple
> platforms). You need to look inside this directory; if it contains the
> tex binary, all is OK, if it just contains another directory,
> something like "powerpc-apple-darwin7.4", set the path to:
>
> export
> PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.4:${HOME}/bin:
> /sw/bin
>
> I see you have Fink installed: make sure that there are no traces of
> TeX inside Fink, it might make you very unhappy.
>
>> Does it need '.bash_profile' before it?
>
> ??? this path setting has to be added to a file called '.bash_profile'.

Where exactly is this file to be created? How from terminal? Or by hand?

> echo 'export
> PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.4:${HOME}/bin:
> /sw/bin' >> .bash_profile

This returns nothing at all.

> (single quotes are important, it prints the right string, and instead
> of sending it to the terminal, it is redirected to the file
> .bash_profile).
>
>> I am learning a lot but am not sure about these things.
>
> If you really want to get into these things, I can recommend the Mac
> OS X in a Nutshell book from O'Reilly, although you should probably
> wait for the Panther/Tiger release -- that one should discuss bash,
> the current release still assumes tcsh.
>
> Maarten

Perhaps I should start at the beginning. Again.

If I want to install Tex from TexLlive I open the terminal and
drag"install-pkj.sh" into the terminal window and hit return?

I end up with a menu for the installation of Tex.

To keep this as short as possible I hit "D"

In this window I hit "1"

In this window I  change the directory to

"usr/local/teTex/  (should this in fact be /usr/local/teTex/bin?)

Hit return

I then type "R" to return to the main menu where I type I and hit
return which starts the installation

after Tex is installed I have to set the path;

export
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.4:${HOME}/bin:/
sw/bin

This may be darwin6.3???

Does this look like it may be correct? Or am I lost never to be found
again.

Thank you very much for your trouble. I am lost without Tex for my
writing.

George