[OS X TeX] installing texlive

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 30 17:29:28 CEST 2004

On 30 jun 2004, at 17:06, George Ghio wrote:

>>> In this window I  change the directory to
>>> "usr/local/teTex/"
>>
>> OK
>>
>>>   (should this in fact be /usr/local/teTex/bin?)
>>
>> NO! tex is a lot more than just the binaries. One of the installed
>> directories is bin under your specified directory.
>>

> OOPS. There is no bin file in the teTex file??? /usr/local/teTex/NO bin

?????????? NO! as in "NO, don't do that!".

/usr/local/teTex/bin is is a directory! And the installer will install
everything in /usr/local/teTeX, including the binaries in designated
sub-directories. YOU have to tell the rest of the system where to find
those directories. That is what the whole mess with .bash_profile does.
After that, restart the terminal application and type 'which tex'
(without the quotes). You should get output, if the PATH is set
correctly, with the only uncertainty the number of your darwin release
(6.3 is very well possible).

Below are some commands and the output to show the structure:

dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX sneep$ cd /usr/local/teTeX
dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX sneep$ ls -F
bin/    include/    info/    lib/    man/    share/    texmf.cnf
dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX sneep$ cd bin
dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX/bin sneep$ ls -F
powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/    powerpc-apple-darwin-current@
dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX/bin sneep$ cd powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/
dyn34-121:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8 sneep$ ls
MakeTeXPK               gbklatex                pdftexinfo
access                  getafm                  pdfthumb
(many items deleted)

Maarten