[OS X TeX] OT: TeX for windows

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Sat Aug 14 15:31:15 CEST 2004

Hello list,

I know this ain't the appropiate place to ask this kind of question but
I'll try anyway.
I will be giving my very first LaTeX class in october. The classroom is
equipped with some elderly win xp system. Now I am looking for a very
simple way to use LaTeX on those machines for my class. Unfortunately
there's no TeX pre-installed. Besides that installing software would
require a lot of persuasion on the sys admin who a) doesn't want to
install anything for me and b) doesn't really like the idea of anyone
but him being able to install anything.

Here are my choices:
1) Find a relatively recent TeX system that will run off a CD. I ran
across MikTeX and TeXLive. Which of these will be easier to use for
direct off-cd typesetting?
2) Succeed in persuading the admin to let my students install TeX
themselves so that they will get to know how to do it on their own. In
that case I'd go for a MikTeX install, or is there a better
alternative?

Any experience reports or hints on that topic are greatly appreciated.
Suggestions for an easy to use windows editor for use with TeX are also
very welcome (so far I only found TeXnicCenter and I have no experience
with that). But keep it simple, my students aren't already comfortable
with Emacs (neither am I) and they're all students of humanities, which
should describe their level of geek-ness.

Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>