[OS X TeX] Weird behavior

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 03:49:42 CEST 2004

(1) After I read Goedde's post, I got maybe ten of those weirdos (I
merrily trashed the aux file) but this had nothing to do with dragging
a graphics. (I just did one right now to see and nothing happened.)

These weirdos kept happening in one particular situation. So, here it
is should someone wish to pursue the matter. I had the following table
but without the $$:

\begin{center}
	\begin{tabular}{@{} ccccc @{}}\label{Table}
	%Row0
		&	ð
		&	3 $\denom{foot}$
		&	\&
		&	1 $\denom{inch}$
		\\
	%Row1
		&	$\times$
		&	2 $\denom{foot}$
		&	\&
		&	2 $\denom{inch}$
		\\
		\midrule
	%Row2
		&	ð
		&	\cellcolor[gray]{0.9}6 $\denom{Inch}$$\times$$\denom{Foot}$
		&	\&
		&	2 $\denom{Inch}$$\times$$\denom{Inch}$
		\\
	%Row3
			6 $\denom{Foot}$$\times$$\denom{Foot}$
		&	\&
		&	\cellcolor[gray]{0.9}2 $\denom{Foot}$$\times$$\denom{Inch}$
		&	ð
		&	ð
		\\
		\midrule
		\vspace{2mm}
	%Row4
			6 $\denom{Foot}$$\times$$\denom{Foot}$
		&	\&
		&	\cellcolor[gray]{0.9}8 $\denom{Foot}$$\times$$\denom{Inch}$
		&	\&
		&	2 $\denom{inch}\times\denom{Inch}$
		\\
		\vspace{2mm}
	%Row5
		&	ð
		&	or
		&	ð
		&	ð
		\\
	%Row6
			6 $\denom{Foot}$$\times$$\denom{Foot}$
		&	\&
		&	\cellcolor[gray]{0.9}8 $\denom{Inch}$$\times$$\denom{Foot}$
		&	\&
		&	2 $\denom{inch}$$\times$$\denom{Inch}$
		\\
	\end{tabular}
\end{center}

Now I wanted to have the same table but with  $\denom{Meter}$ instead
of $\denom{Inch}$ and  \scbf{D}{EKA}$\denom{Meter}$ instead of
$\denom{Foot}$.

So, I copied the above table and proceeded with the replacement. Of
course I made typing mistakes and TeX wouldn't compile but as soon as I
caught the mistake, if it would usually compile, some times it went
"weird".
Then, after it did work, I put in the $$ to prevent TeX to put spaces
around the "x". Again, I made typing mistakes and again, sometimes TeX
would recover sometimes it wouldn't.
Then I put in the $$ in the original table for consistency with the
same results.

Also, other than the time with dragging the figure, the first two times
it happened also had to do with $.

Once again I am grateful to all and in particular, this time, to Goedde
and Neary. Thanks.

Regards
--schremmer

I got a whole lot of