[OS X TeX] Bibitem label options

Marcelo LaFleur mlafleur at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 08:13:09 CEST 2002

Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I enter the command
\usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}

Can I just enter that somewhere in my root file such as:

\documentclass{econ-thesis}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}

And then use \bibliographystyle{plainnat} ?

Or does it have to be somewhere else?

Do I understand correctly that by calling that package I will then be able
to cite with 'round' and 'colon' options (by default) without any extra
configuration on my part (simply by using /cite{} )?
Do I have to do anything in the .bst file or the natbib.sty file?

Again, I'm just beginning to understand all of this though I have read a
lot.

Thanks for the clarification.

--
Marcelo T. LaFleur
Fordham University

on 4/26/02 22:19, Ross Moore at ross at ics.mq.edu.au wrote:

>> I'll try that, but what I want is for the Bibliography entry NOT to have the
>> label shown.
>
> Try  \usepackage[authoryear]{natbib} .
>
> That should suppress the numbers, since (from natbib.sty) :
>
> \DeclareOption{authoryear}{\NAT at numbersfalse
>  \ExecuteOptions{round,colon,bibstyle}}
>
> so that you get the 'round' and 'colon' options automatically.
> (You can override these by adding extra options.)
> The 'bibstyle'  option simply means that the \bibstyle  and  \citestyle macros
> do the same thing, rather than having different meanings.
>

>> The problem I have is that if I have a label in the bibitem, it shows in the
>> beginning of the bibliography item (eg: "[Canzonery:01]"). I don't want this
>> in the bibliography itself, but if I remove the label, it defaults to
>> numbers and I can't cite in the text.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ross Moore

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.