[OS X TeX] Bibitem label options

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Apr 28 09:43:35 CEST 2002

> Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I enter the command
> \usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}
>
> Can I just enter that somewhere in my root file such as:
>
> \documentclass{econ-thesis}
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}

Yes; this is a good place for it.

> And then use \bibliographystyle{plainnat} ?

Yes, again.

> Or does it have to be somewhere else?

Anywhere after loading the package, and before \begin{document} .

> Do I understand correctly that by calling that package I will then be able
> to cite with 'round' and 'colon' options (by default) without any extra
> configuration on my part (simply by using /cite{} )?

Yes; but (ahem!) it is  \cite{....}  .
                        ^

> Do I have to do anything in the .bst file or the natbib.sty file?

Certainly not *in* these files.  They work fine as they are.

If you don't like the results, then there are other options and commands
to customise to your taste. It should *never* be necessary to alter any of
the coding in the .bst and .sty files.

> Again, I'm just beginning to understand all of this though I have read a
> lot.

You learn more quickly by doing than reading; but having the manual nearby
is often very helpful.

> Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome; but...

  ... you haven't yet said whether it worked as you wanted.  :-)

Cheers,

	Ross Moore

> --
> Marcelo T. LaFleur
> Fordham University
>

> on 4/26/02 22:19, Ross Moore at ross at ics.mq.edu.au wrote:
>
> >> I'll try that, but what I want is for the Bibliography entry NOT to have the
> >> label shown.
> >
> > Try  \usepackage[authoryear]{natbib} .
> >
> > That should suppress the numbers, since (from natbib.sty) :
> >
> > \DeclareOption{authoryear}{\NAT at numbersfalse
> >  \ExecuteOptions{round,colon,bibstyle}}
> >
> > so that you get the 'round' and 'colon' options automatically.
> > (You can override these by adding extra options.)
> > The 'bibstyle'  option simply means that the \bibstyle  and  \citestyle macros
> > do the same thing, rather than having different meanings.
> >

> >> The problem I have is that if I have a label in the bibitem, it shows in the
> >> beginning of the bibliography item (eg: "[Canzonery:01]"). I don't want this
> >> in the bibliography itself, but if I remove the label, it defaults to
> >> numbers and I can't cite in the text.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Ross Moore

> > "help" (no quotes) in the body.