[OS X TeX] OT newbie: ps psd into teX document

get86 at mac.com get86 at mac.com
Tue Apr 2 06:03:48 CEST 2002

this an OT, i think newbie story and request, i apologize in advance if
i'm outta line posting, but i am trying to learn:

today the systems guys here were trying to figure out a .psd graphics
problem -into a teX'd document, or to be teX'd.

the assist. admin. is groveling about this school .psd logo image having
a "bounding box" that is causing it to print a quarter of the,
apparently to huge, image as a "eps?" file -i guess he made an eps of
it. anyway...

he was saying something about there being too much bounding box or
something -i couldn't really catch it as he wasn't addressing me -BUT...
sitting there at my Mac OSX with TeXShop and all this nice stuff
installed (eps2pdf) etc., i thought -well of this list and various
things i've read about here!

so i quickly downloaded eps2pdf and the logo and converted it to a pdf,
then i heard him talking about some advice he'd gotten but hadn't
figured out yet -IncludeGraphics, etc.... now i'm thinking oh oh!..
silently. :-)

so i open TeXShop and easily find the IncludeGraphics section and i read
that it works with pdf... so i'm thinking so far so good... not much
ensues:

ending is:  now i'm up to where he is and i offer... with the logo
opened in Acrobat on my screen... "is this how you want it?" (logo image
appears to be to the borders) he says, "how'd you do that?" i say, "i
converted it to pdf.
He says, "i don't think i can use a pdf." i'm thinking... i bet he can,
though i've read here that going to pdf should be at final stage(?)
-maybe that's what he wants.
oh, and i heard him, earlier, saying something about a bitmap... i'm
thinking... hmm... "...embedded bitmap in teX doc?"... where have i
heard about possible problems there.

anyway, he says, "send me the pdf."

if anyone would care to *try* to decipher this and shed any light,
provided any of it makes sense and there is enough info here, please
mail me?

(He was on a Sun trying to print the file -looked like a letter head
with logo [the culprit image] at the upper left corner.)

thanks.

Ted

"help" (no quotes) in the body.