[OS X TeX] OT newbie: ps psd into teX document

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 2 07:00:29 CEST 2002

> this an OT, i think newbie story and request, i apologize in advance if
> i'm outta line posting, but i am trying to learn:
>
> today the systems guys here were trying to figure out a .psd graphics
> problem -into a teX'd document, or to be teX'd.
>
> the assist. admin. is groveling about this school .psd logo image having
> a "bounding box" that is causing it to print a quarter of the,
> apparently to huge, image as a "eps?" file -i guess he made an eps of
> it. anyway...
>
> he was saying something about there being too much bounding box or
> something -i couldn't really catch it as he wasn't addressing me -BUT...
> sitting there at my Mac OSX with TeXShop and all this nice stuff
> installed (eps2pdf) etc., i thought -well of this list and various
> things i've read about here!

This all sounds very familiar indeed.

If he designed the logo in Illustrator, then saving directly as PDF
would give a bounding-box that is the whole page.
Other drawing programs do the same kind of thing.
(Some even include a filled white rectangle, having the size of
the page --- getting rid of that requires some knowledge of how
PostScript works.)

> so i quickly downloaded eps2pdf and the logo and converted it to a pdf,
> then i heard him talking about some advice he'd gotten but hadn't
> figured out yet -IncludeGraphics, etc.... now i'm thinking oh oh!..
> silently. :-)

eps2pdf ( have you mis-spelled ?  epstopdf  or  ps2pdf )
uses Ghostscript --- a free program for interpreting PostScript
code, and saving the result into different image formats.
It generally does a good job of getting the BoundingBox right.

> so i open TeXShop and easily find the IncludeGraphics section and i read
> that it works with pdf... so i'm thinking so far so good... not much
> ensues:
>
> ending is:  now i'm up to where he is and i offer... with the logo
> opened in Acrobat on my screen... "is this how you want it?" (logo image
> appears to be to the borders) he says, "how'd you do that?" i say, "i
> converted it to pdf.
> He says, "i don't think i can use a pdf." i'm thinking... i bet he can,
> though i've read here that going to pdf should be at final stage(?)
> -maybe that's what he wants.

You can also give him another .eps, with correct bounding-box.
 ps2epsi  is the script for this.

> oh, and i heard him, earlier, saying something about a bitmap... i'm
> thinking... hmm... "...embedded bitmap in teX doc?"... where have i
> heard about possible problems there.

bitmaps can be good, but only when viewed at the resolution for
which they were designed. A vector format is much better as the
master version; especially for a logo, which will be needed at
many different sizes and resolutions.

> anyway, he says, "send me the pdf."

He probably has software that will enable this to be saved back
as a correct .eps , else he can use it directly with pdfTeX .

> if anyone would care to *try* to decipher this and shed any light,
> provided any of it makes sense and there is enough info here, please
> mail me?

It sounds pretty typical really.
You did good.  :-)

> (He was on a Sun trying to print the file -looked like a letter head
> with logo [the culprit image] at the upper left corner.)

teTeX works fine on a Sun --- indeed, on any Unix box.
If he has it already --- probably does, since you mentioned TeX initially ---
then maybe he hasn't discovered pdftex and pdflatex yet.
He can't use the TeXShop interface, but he's certainly got  vim
and  emacs/auctex  available.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> thanks.