[OS X TeX] Esstix (was: ANNOUNCE mbtimes font package)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 05:17:38 CEST 2002

> On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 06:25  AM, Ross Moore wrote:
>
> >> Le lundi 1 avril 2002, à 06:06 PM, Michel Bovani a écrit :
> >
> > It's not just Elsevier.
> > These  esstix  fonts are a product of the  STIX project:
> >
> >  http://www.ams.org/STIX/
> >
> > The American Math Society (AMS) and publishers other than Elsevier
> > have been involved as well, as have members of the TeX community.
> >

>    Just FYI . . .
>
>    The ESSTIX fonts were sort of linked with the STIX project
> at one point but are not part of the project and are, as
> far as I know, strictly an Elsevier project.

Well, blow me down for thinking that  ESSTIX was an acronym for
Elsevier Science STIX .

>    I don't know what Elsevier might be planning to do with
> ESSTIX, but STIX will be a different set.

This email message describes the relationship pretty well, I think:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya-dev/2000Sep/0016.html

or at least, as it was in September 2000.

BTW, it also gives the URL to download this great set of fonts:

  ftp://ftp.elsevier.nl/pub/styles/esstix/esstix.zip

If the situation has changed in the past 18 months, can you please
provide more up-to-date information.

Perhaps other publishers will create their own sets of fonts,
using the STIX encodings and new Unicode code-points.
Maybe not, and everyone will end up using ESSTIX, because Elsevier
have provided them cost-free --- thank you very much indeed.

My point was only that it is not fair to overlook the efforts of others,
as well as Elsevier, in helping to bring about this fortunate situation.

All the best,

	Ross Moore

>    Regards,
>
>    Chris Hamlin