[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Jul 24 00:44:40 CEST 2013

Le 23 juil. 2013 à 23:25, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :

>    What they describe is the "old-fashioned" way
>
> And yet, the old-fashioned way is still supposed to work just fine,
> which is why I did not change the instructions.  It's not clear to me
> why it doesn't.

You're quite right: this is not a matter of

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

vs

	sudo updmap-sys

with appropriate updmap.cfg, I wasn't clear in this respect: both should work just fine.

> (I just got a private report from another customer on
> the Mac with the same problem.  No weird ~/texmf-local in that case,
> either.)

Speaking here only for the Mac: it's been a long time since I stopped helping debug such things on the OS X TeX list, but at the time (ie up to September 2008) the problems were almost always caused by incorrect combination of sudo, updmap-sys and updmap.

Herb Shulz, who is still a member of this list and other lists, has spent probably weeks of his life in total debugging those problems.

At the time, IIRC, there were two sorts of problem:

- Using "sudo updmap" with the result that root-owned files were created in the user home directory. I don't remember exactly in which way, but this ended up causing serious problems eventually.

- Having first used "updmap" or "sudo updmap", then at some point switching to "sudo updmap-sys" and not realizing that, whichever correct use of "sudo updmap-sys" was involved from that point on, there were still remaining .cfg and .map files created by updmap and taking precedence over the new files created by updmap-sys.

More specifically, updmap-sys manipulates .cfg and .map files in

	TEXMFSYSVAR (= /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-var on the Mac)
	TEXMFSYSCONFIG (= /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-config/ on the Mac)

while updmap manipulates .cfg and .map files in

	TEXMFVAR (= ~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-var on the Mac)
	TEXMFCONFIG (= ~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-config on the Mac)

The second series has precedence over the first, so it is worth checking that there are no leftover files in TEXMF{VAR,CONFIG}. "kpsewhich --all pdftex.map" should help here.

Still on the Mac, "TeX Live utility".app has been added a preference "Automatically enable fonts in my home directory" such that, whenever fonts and maps are added in the system-wide texmf tree (TEXMFSYS) using updmap-sys, then updmap is run to update the user-specific texmf tree (TEXMF) accordingly.

But I don't know whether that would help here, I still haven't completely understood how this works. I'm cc'ing Adam (TLU's author) so that he can correct me if I'm wrong.

> When I test the instructions myself, they work :(.  So frustrating.
>
>    the -H option is not necessary
>
> -H says to make $HOME be the usual home directory.  That might be the
> default for sudo in the current MacOSX, but I don't think it was always
> the case.  Thus, unless there is evidence that it can actually be
> harmful, I prefer to leave it in.

You're quite right: sudo on the Mac does not set $HOME to root's home (= /var/root) as it does on Linux. Nothing has changed in this respect.

What I thought had changed is that Norbert, realizing that, had modified updmap-sys such that it sets $HOME to root's home on launch. But looking at updmap-sys.sh, I can't see this in the code. And I can't find the message where Norbert wrote about that on the MacTeX list. So I must admit I'm confused.

Bruno