[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Jul 23 22:51:24 CEST 2013

Le 23 juil. 2013 à 20:07, ivo welch <ivo.welch at anderson.ucla.edu> a écrit :

> I just upgraded to texlive 2013, and of course the lucida fonts have
> to be reinstalled again.

Hi,

They normally don't: once the configuration is right, after each new tl install you only have to rebuild the global map files (psfonts.map, pdftex.map and the like). Details about that will follow below.

> grrr....  and, of course, I am screwing up
> something again.   super-grrr....
>

> I am running under mint linux.  I keep all my local tex in
> ~/texmf-local and then link it to become
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local after a new texlive installation,

That is a strange setup indeed. Do you have a specific reason to do that:

- If your computer is multi-user, you should install in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ (= TEXMFLOCAL) directly.

- If your computer is single-user, so that the only user account is yours, you should install in TEXMFHOME (= ~/Library/texmf on the Mac, I don't know what that is on Linux) and dispense with this symlinking.

With your setup, there is a faint possibility that when running mktexlsr and updmap-sys then you'll end up with root-owned files in your user directory, which is a very reliable source of trouble of come.

> so
> $ ls /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
> bchb8a.otf   bchr8a.otf   doc/    fonts.unused/  source/
> bchbi8a.otf  bchri8a.otf  fonts/  ls-R           tex/

Irrelevant to Lucida: the fonts bchb8a.otf etc. can't be seen, they should be inside a subdirectory fonts/opentype. Says kpathsea (after replacing manually my home directory with ~):

$ kpsewhich --all --show-path=".otf" | tr ":" "\n"
.
~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-config/fonts/opentype//
~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-var/fonts/opentype//
~/Library/texmf/fonts/opentype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-config/fonts/opentype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-var/fonts/opentype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local/fonts/opentype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype//
~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-config/fonts/truetype//
~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-var/fonts/truetype//
~/Library/texmf/fonts/truetype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-config/fonts/truetype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-var/fonts/truetype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local/fonts/truetype//
!!/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype//

> I am trying to follow the http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt
> now.  Given that this does not work for me, I have a couple of
> suggestions how to make it better.
>

> steps 1-3.  presumably, I have already done this in my 2012 installation.
>
> in the document, I would conclude with something like: under linux,
> "ls $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/" should now show 83 files.
>
> step 4.  not sure how to check that this was done right.

To check, you can try "kpsewhich lbmr.pfb" for example (to check whether a typical file from the install is seen). On my setup:

$ kpsewhich lbmr.pfb
/usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbmr.pfb

That said, there are two situations depending on whether you did a single-user or system-wide install:

- Single-user (install in TEXMFHOME): step 4 is unnecessary, TEXMFHOME is searched directly at runtime not through an ls-R file name database.

- System-wide (install in TEXMFLOCAL): step 4 is required. On the Mac, the -H option is not necessary (I used to think it was, but I was wrong), so you can simply type

	sudo mktexlsr

> step 5.  I would conclude with
>    grep -i luc `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
> should now show
>   Map lucida.map

As for step 3, the instructions correspond to a system-wide install (in TEXMFLOCAL). What they describe is the "old-fashioned" way of managing local fonts. What's now recommended is to create a file updmap.cfg in TEXMFLOCAL/web2c (namely, /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg) containing a list of the map file additions (or substractions). For the syntax, see "man updmap". For Lucida, the line is

	Map lucida.map

Afterwards (namely, after each install of a new TeX Live yearly release) you just have to run (on the Mac, I don't know about the need or not of sudo on Linux)

	sudo updmap-sys

(Norbert Preining modified updmap-sys this year or the last such that -H is no longer needed).

If your install is single-user (in TEXMFHOME), the syntax of updmap.cfg is the same, its location is also the same (TEXMFHOME/web2c namely ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg) and what you need to run becomes simply

	updmap

> step6.  I would conclude with a few more checks here, such as
>    $ kpsewhich lbma.pfb
> should now show $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbma.pfb
>

> step7.  not needed
>

> as for me, pdflatex is telling me

> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcw.fd)
> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcf.fd) [7]
> (./lucida-type1.aux)
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrf8r
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrf8r.
> mktexpk: perhaps hlcrf8r is missing from the map file.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> )
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file hlcrf8r): Font hlcrf8r at 618 not found
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> the "potential problems" section is great, except my step 5 check
> works fine.  It indeed shows the Map.

Which map file? I imagine the pdftex.map used would be either of

	TEXMFSYSVAR/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
	TEXMFVAR/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

Does any of these contain the line

	hlcrf8r LucidaBlackletter " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <lbl.pfb