[lucida] upgrading + installation

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Feb 11 00:18:33 CET 2013

Hi Ivo,

On So, 10 Feb 2013, ivo welch wrote:
> on the bright side, I just renewed my TUG membership and donated a
> chunk of funds.  (thanks to the TUG saints for working on LaTeX.)  on

Great, the TUG is surely very happy about any contribution.

> [1] I own the old lucida fonts.  I purchased them originally from BH
> and then "upgraded" them to the TeX license.  I see that they are now

Like myself.

> also available in OTF format.  is OTF also the preferred format for
> pdflatex now?  if so, how can I upgrade from the type 1 files to the

No, OTF is for xetex and luatex, pdftex does not read them.

> [2] IF I should not upgrade to OTF, then I need to figure out how to
> make the type1 fonts work again.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong

That we can fix.

> I want to reinstall the lucida font. this time I am trying to do this
> under texlive 2012.  I thought it would have been sufficient to add
> 'Map lucida.map' to updmap.cfg (and/or run 'updmap-sys --enable
> Map=lucida.map'), then run updmap-sys, updmap, mktexlsr, and texhash a
> few times as su ;-).  I can't see obvious problems:

I assume you did all that as root?

> $ kpsewhich lbr.pfb
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbr.pfb

fine.

> $ grep -i lucida `kpsewhich pdftex.map` | head -2
> % lucida.map
> hlcbot8r LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
> <8r.enc <lbtbo.pfb

Fine.

> $ grep hlhr8r `kpsewhich pdftex.map`
> hlhr8r LucidaBright " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <lbr.pfb

fine.

> $ grep -i lucida `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
> Map lucida.map

fine

But what is
	kpsewhich updmap.cfg

> [1{/home/ivo/.texlive2012/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]

This file might contain old stuff, while you running above commands as
root did update the system variant.

I recommend:
- add
	Map lucida.map
	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
  THat is the safest variant, as starting with TL2012 updmap(-sys)
  reads *ALL* updmap.cfg files.
  That means that in following years, if you keep the TEXMFLOCAL tree,
  no adjustments are necessary.

- remove everything that is not needed (or everything? or just rename the
  directory) in ~/.texlive2012/.
  Do you have these files on purpose?
  Did you run updmap (without -sys) as normal user?

> are there some cache files that need to be deleted?  anything else
> that may need to be fixed?

Yes, you are having activated the font map system wide, but the
using the font definition in your local home dir.

> PS: it is a bit odd that after all these years, texlive does not come
> with a perl program that contains all the expert knowledge built in to
> install fonts correctly.

There is nothing to be done anymore but adding the map file to the
same tree's web2c/updmap.cfg file. That is all.

And the wonderful tool cannot know if the left over files you have
under .texlive2012 are on purpose or by mistake .... hard to guess!

Of course, you are invited to contribute such a program ;-) I can help
you with the details and some perl programming, maybe we include it
into tlmgr ;-)))

Norbert