[lucida] upgrading + installation

ivo welch ivo.welch at anderson.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 10 20:01:21 CET 2013

Dear lucida/tug group:

on the bright side, I just renewed my TUG membership and donated a
chunk of funds.  (thanks to the TUG saints for working on LaTeX.)  on
the not-so-bright side, I need to figure out how to install my lucida
fonts on texlive2012.

[1] I own the old lucida fonts.  I purchased them originally from BH
and then "upgraded" them to the TeX license.  I see that they are now
also available in OTF format.  is OTF also the preferred format for
pdflatex now?  if so, how can I upgrade from the type 1 files to the
OTF files?

[2] IF I should not upgrade to OTF, then I need to figure out how to
make the type1 fonts work again.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong
this time.  I posted an earlier version of the following question to
comp.text.tex.  every few years, I seem to have the same trouble when
I want to reinstall the lucida font. this time I am trying to do this
under texlive 2012.  I thought it would have been sufficient to add
'Map lucida.map' to updmap.cfg (and/or run 'updmap-sys --enable
Map=lucida.map'), then run updmap-sys, updmap, mktexlsr, and texhash a
few times as su ;-).  I can't see obvious problems:

$ kpsewhich lbr.pfb
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbr.pfb

$ grep -i lucida `kpsewhich pdftex.map` | head -2
% lucida.map
hlcbot8r LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
<8r.enc <lbtbo.pfb
$ grep hlhr8r `kpsewhich pdftex.map`
hlhr8r LucidaBright " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <lbr.pfb

$ grep -i lucida `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
Map lucida.map

$ grep -A2 ProvidesPackage `kpsewhich  lucidabr.sty`
\ProvidesPackage{lucidabr}
 [2005/11/29 v4.3 %
 Lucida Bright +

and then run a simple test file that includes \usepackage{lucidabr} .
the good news is that my pdflatex runs do not complain:

$ pdflatex lucida-test.tex
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidabr.sty)
(./lucida-test.aux)
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucidabr/lmrhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucidabr/omlhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucidabr/omshlcy.fd)
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/lucidabr/omxhlcv.fd) [1{/home/ivo/.te
xlive2012/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] [2] [3]
(./lucida-test.aux) )</usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/ams
fonts/cm/cmr12.pfb></usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfo
nts/cm/cmr17.pfb

the bad news, as you can see, is that the fonts that are being used
are still CMR .  pdffonts tells me
LYVUOC+CMR17                         Type 1            Builtin
 yes yes no       4  0
QWJGED+CMR12                         Type 1            Builtin
 yes yes no       5  0

are there some cache files that need to be deleted?  anything else
that may need to be fixed?

regards,

/iaw

PS: it is a bit odd that after all these years, texlive does not come
with a perl program that contains all the expert knowledge built in to
install fonts correctly.

$ tex-install cmr
[ font family cmr was already correctly installed ; demo file
cmr-test.tex is in your directory now ]

$ tex-installfont lucida
[ font family lucida successfully installed ; demo file
lucida-test.tex is in your directory now ]
  ... or ...
[ font family lucida is not installed, because the .pfb files (e.g.,
lbr.pfb) are not in your texpath.  did you buy them from tug?]

$ tex-installfont funny.pfb
[ single font funny.pfb installed ; guessing LatinEnc.  demo file
funny-test.tex is in your directory now ]

$ tex-installfont weird.otf
[ single font weird.otf installed ; guessing LatinEnc.  demo file
funny-test.tex is in your directory now ]

but maybe such a perl program already exists, and I just don't know about it...

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.welch at gmail.com)
http://www.ivo-welch.info/
J. Fred Weston Professor of Finance
Anderson School at UCLA, C519
Director, UCLA Anderson Fink Center for Finance and Investments
Free Finance Textbook, http://book.ivo-welch.info/
Editor, Critical Finance Review, http://www.critical-finance-review.org/