[luatex] luaotfload | Updating the font names database:.../2010/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/lualibs/lualibs-file.lua:75: stack overflow

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Feb 27 17:15:51 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 11:41:59AM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Hello!
>
> After an update mkluatexfontdb now works as advertised. It stops here:
>
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/
> mingliub.ttcSegmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> What is the right place for the personal blacklist file? Neither
> documentation nor kpsewhich give a hint.

Anywhere kpse looks for .lua files, I've no definite answer myself, but
$HOME/texmf/tex/luatex/ would work. But I think Taco would be interested
in debugging this font.

> Here on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard, without Snow), PPC, mkluatexfontdb
> also reports:
>
> 	luaotfload | error: failed to open /Library/Fonts/NISC18030.ttf
> 	luaotfload | failed to load .Keyboard.ttf
> 	luaotfload | failed to load .LastResort.ttf
>
> So these names should be put into the system's blacklist file as well.

Not necessary, luaotfload will ignore it anyway (that is different from
the above case where the engine itself is crashing).

> The script seems to catalogue some font files more often than once:
>
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
>
> Is this necessary?

Do you have OSFONTDIR set? may be the file is returned several times by
kpse e.g. one when asking for opentype fonts and one for truetype fonts,
but then you shouldn't see those lines in succession.

> Mkluatexfontdb has a systematic flaw: It makes no difference between
> activated and not activated "installed" fonts (installed = can be
> found on disk). So different versions of the same font are scanned
> and catalogued. Is it chance which lets LuaTeX choose the font it
> uses for PDF output?

You can set OSFONTDIR to control what system font directories are active
or not, you can also use `fonts.names.scan("/path/foo")` in your
document to load fonts from a specific directory (those fonts will not
be saved in the names database, though). Mac OS X has API to list system
fonts (which take care of activated and unactivated fonts) but I've no
idea how to access it from lua (on Linux we read the configuration files
directly since they are publicly documented, but there are also command
lines tools using fontconfig that we were using initially).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny