[luatex] luaotfload | Updating the font names database:.../2010/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/lualibs/lualibs-file.lua:75: stack overflow

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Sun Feb 27 22:21:34 CET 2011

Am 27.02.2011 um 17:15 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
> > Here on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard, without Snow), PPC, mkluatexfontdb
> > also reports:
> >
> > 	luaotfload | error: failed to open /Library/Fonts/NISC18030.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | failed to load .Keyboard.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | failed to load .LastResort.ttf
> >
> > So these names should be put into the system's blacklist file as
> well.
> Not necessary, luaotfload will ignore it anyway (that is different
> from the above case where the engine itself is crashing).
The last two fonts are converted versions of system fonts, installed
by a Fink package. Presumingly they're pretty useless and hopefully
they don't get installed any more. FontForge can't use them. The first
font is just a big bag of bitmapped CJK glyphs.

> > The script seems to catalogue some font files more often than once:
> >
> > 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> > 	luaotfload | loading font: /Library/Fonts/Extrafonts/Vera.ttf
> >
> > Is this necessary?
>
> Do you have OSFONTDIR set? may be the file is returned several times
> by
> kpse e.g. one when asking for opentype fonts and one for truetype
> fonts,
> but then you shouldn't see those lines in succession.
When I browsed through the output generated by mkluatexfontdb I saw
that it again and again accessed the same fonts. Then I filtered the
output with sort and cited a very small block. They were certainly not
issued in succession.

I have OSFONTDIR set to /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts//;/Library/Fonts//;/
System/Library/Fonts;$HOME/Library/Fonts;/System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home/lib/fonts;/System/Library/
Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/fonts; in TL '09 I
had also Fink font directories added, but it seems that FontForge can
read any [reasonable] Apple font format, so I removed it now.
Presumingly I can remove the X11 fonts too. (The only valuable fonts
are local additions of "system" fonts. This path element will get
removed afterwards!) I have added sym-links to the font files in /
Library/Fonts/Extrafonts to the local X11 font directory.

> > Mkluatexfontdb has a systematic flaw: It makes no difference between
> > activated and not activated "installed" fonts (installed = can be
> > found on disk). So different versions of the same font are scanned
> > and catalogued. Is it chance which lets LuaTeX choose the font it
> > uses for PDF output?
>
> You can set OSFONTDIR to control what system font directories are
> active
> or not,

This would make it necessary to organise the duplicate fonts
differently. The OS' font service sets markers in its table of known
fonts, so their place in the file system plays no role. (Maybe LuaTeX
can learn from BeOS/NeXTSTEP a bit as well...)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui a été compris n'existe plus.