[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 5 16:59:26 CET 2009

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:45:04 +0100 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>

>>> Naturally luatex can add new primitives (and should do it) like
>>> pdftex has done it. And you will never be able to avoid that such a
>>> new primitive clash somehow. But nevertheless I think it would be
>>> very useful if the names of the primitives would use an uniform
>>> prefix -- even more as luatex is not stable and new primitives can
>>> arise or disappear again. Prefixes like \pdf of pdftex and \XeTeX of
>>> xetex create a simple namespace and enable package writers to avoid
>>> _future_ conflicts with new primitives simply by not using the
>>> prefix.
>> You do realise that you are argueing for the creation of
>>
>>   \XeTeXsuppressfontnotfounderror
>> and
>>   \LuaTeXsuppressfontnotfounderror
>>
>> instead of just the single new primitive \suppressfontnotfounderror
>> that Jonathan and I came up with and implemented?
>
> You could use \uniTeX as prefix for commands that affects both
> "unicode" engines ;-). But a bit more serious: I do understand that
> it will probably not possible to get a completly strict and
> consistent naming scheme. But an imperfect naming scheme is in my
> opinion better than none at all.

if someone has been using a macro package that provided a macro based
\suppressfontnotfounderror where that macro was a core macro, tnen
changes are high that it will still has its meaning (since it is defined
and overloads the primitive); the only thing a macro package then has to
do is provde a way to access the new primitive or just use the
\primitive prefix which kind of acts like a namespace for the engine;
actually \mymacropackageprefix can be easily define to create a package
specific namespace as well

macro packages have 25-50 K macro names easily so there's alway sthe
potential of a clash; in the end it's the manuals that tell users what
command to use