[lltx] Problem with slanted fonts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 08:28:37 CEST 2010

On 16/09/2010, at 12:30 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:31:40 +0200 schrieb Yves Scherrer:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have installed TexLive 2010 and am trying out Lualatex.
>> When typesetting the following example:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont{Gentium Basic}
>> \begin{document}
>> \textsl{hello}
>> \end{document}
>>
>> the resulting pdf file contains the following line:
>>
>> Basic/I:mode=node;script=latn;language=DFLT;hello
>>
>> I wouldn't expect to find the font features in there...
>> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Nothing. It is a bug, due to the space in the font name.
>
> Until the bug is repaired you can remove the space from the font
> name (GentiumBasic), or you can use \textit instead of \textsl. This
> will give the same result anyway as long as you don't use the
> SlantedFont-option to declare a specific slanted font.

I've been trying to track down the origin of this bug and so far I'm out of luck. I tried first switching to "luaotfload" style font loading with

   \font\1={xyz}

instead of XeTeX-style

   \font\1="xyz"

but that produced even more problems.

This *could* be a bug in the LaTeX2e kernel, but I don't have time to wade into the NFSS at this stage.

I've added an issue for this bug:

    http://github.com/wspr/fontspec/issues/issue/74

To be addressed when possible.

-- Will