[lltx] [fontspec] selecting font features has no effect?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 00:11:38 CEST 2010

On 30/03/2010, at 10:19 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:

> \typeout{--1--}
> {\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+swsh}\textit{Test}}
> \typeout{--2--}
> {\addfontfeature{Style=Swash}\textit{Test}}
> \typeout{--3--}
> {\fontspec[Style=Swash]{Arno Pro Italic}Test}

Nice test, thanks.
I don't have Arno Pro and this really shows what's going on.
I think you've pretty much worked out why it didn't work the first time around; although fontspec should be smarter about applying {Style=Swash} even if it's not present in the upright font.

(And you've noted that RawFeature doesn't check its input; this is something I'd like to change eventually too.)

For your example above, you'd want to use markup like

   \addfontfeature{ItalicFeatures={Style=Swash}}

or (better)

   \newfontface\swash[Style=Swash]{Arno Pro Italic}
   \swash

> Note that LuaTex outputs the same warning for case two about a missing feature.

Does seem like something is wrong with the LuaTeX processing in this example.

> By the way, why is the font attempted to be loaded at 10.95pt when I
> request 11pt?

A legacy design decision in LaTeX.
I'd have to look up the exact maths to check why that was chosen as the "rounded value" close to some geometric progression.

-- Will