[lltx] location of font cache /fontspec and microtype

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Jun 23 17:46:58 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 04:26:41PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1. The script mkluatexfontdb claims:
>
> "The output database file is named otfl-fonts.lua. By default it is
> placed
> in $TEXMFVAR/luatex/generic/luaotfload/names"
>
> Well in my case is not there but in the same root where the script
> resides in tex/luatex/luaotfload/names.

That was the old place, I forgot to update the documentation.

Now it is $TEXMFVAR/luatex-cache/generic/names.

> Is this simply a documentation error or is there something wrong
> with my setup? (lualatex finds map files in my TEXMFVAR =
> !!$USERPROFILE/Lokale Einstellungen/Anwendungsdaten/MiKTeX/2.7
> without problems).
>

> 2. Somewhere else someone asked about lualatex + microtype. After
> some tests I found the following solution:
>
> \documentclass[fontsize=12pt]{scrartcl}
> \usepackage{luaotfload}
> \usepackage[EU2]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \usepackage{lipsum}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \newfontfeature{Microtype}{protrusion=default;expansion=default;}
> \setmainfont[Microtype,Ligatures=TeX]{Linux Libertine O}
>
> %or without \newfontfeature
> %\setmainfont[RawFeature={protrusion=default;expansion=default;},Ligatures=TeX]{Linux
> % Libertine O}
>
> \begin{document}
> \lipsum
> \end{document}
>
> Is \newfontfeature the right command to add such new features? And
> if yes what would be good names for the microtype features?

I was thinking about adding to new fontspec feature, Protrusion and
Expansion, since the two are quite different and should be separately
controlled. I just need to figure out how to implement it :)

PS. You don't need microtype for luaotfload features, you just have to
set: \pdfprotrudechars2 and \pdfadjustspacing2 to activate protrusion
and expansion respectively.