[lltx] luatexbase

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Jan 20 18:54:48 CET 2010

Hi Manuel,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:27:06PM +0100, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> FYI,
>
> As mentioned in a previous message, I am splitting luatextra in two parts:
>
> - luatexbase for basic resource handling (registers, catcodetables, attributes,
> lua modules, callbacks) and maybe later I'll add compatibility stuff (such as
> names of primitives)
>
> - luatextra, with luaextra, the logos, goodies for LaTeX (currently the luacode
> environment, later \newluacommand as suggested by Khaled, etc.)
>
> There is a new repo for luatexbase, and the splitting out is happening in the
> base-out branch of luatextra. Until I announce otherwise, you should assume
> luatebase/master and luatextra/base-out are broken :-) I made them public just
> so that everybody can see what's happening, they are currently not for use.
>
> My mid-term goal is that luatexbase becomes the standard package that every
> lua(la)tex programmer can load without thinking. It means it should become quite
> stable soon. Before this happens, I'd like to make a few changes to some parts.
> (I'll warn if I want to make incompatible changes during this period.)

I think the splitting is a good idea, I'd like to move luaextra to
luatexbase too (unless stability is a concern, then it should live in
its own package), and kill luatextra completely and move document
specific parts to xltxtra. I think unifying XeTeX and LuaTeX specific
packages would allow smoother user experience, and better
maintainability. The name might be subobtimal, may be we can rename
xltxtra to ultxtra (u for Unicode), or even get a better name (I always
mistype xltxtra!) and make xltxtra.sty a small wrapper for backward
compatibility. Will, what do you think?