[lltx] luatexbase

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Jan 13 12:27:06 CET 2010

FYI,

As mentioned in a previous message, I am splitting luatextra in two parts:

- luatexbase for basic resource handling (registers, catcodetables, attributes,
lua modules, callbacks) and maybe later I'll add compatibility stuff (such as
names of primitives)

- luatextra, with luaextra, the logos, goodies for LaTeX (currently the luacode
environment, later \newluacommand as suggested by Khaled, etc.)

There is a new repo for luatexbase, and the splitting out is happening in the
base-out branch of luatextra. Until I announce otherwise, you should assume
luatebase/master and luatextra/base-out are broken :-) I made them public just
so that everybody can see what's happening, they are currently not for use.

My mid-term goal is that luatexbase becomes the standard package that every
lua(la)tex programmer can load without thinking. It means it should become quite
stable soon. Before this happens, I'd like to make a few changes to some parts.
(I'll warn if I want to make incompatible changes during this period.)

More importantly, at some point I want to discuss with Heiko about his
luatex.sty package, which is mostly redundant with luatexbase. It is obviously
highly undesirable to have two concurrent packages for resource allocation. I'll
try study carefully the differences between those two packages (and probably
clean up the code of luatexbase on my way) before I start this discussion.

Manuel.