[l2h] inline \verb does not work when data on windows and using latex2html from Linux in VBox

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Thu May 10 07:28:04 CEST 2012

On 5/9/2012 10:04 PM, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> This is not a solution ... but since you seem to have identified the
> location of the problem have you considered inserting some print
> statements right before/after the dbmopen{} calls. See that the value
> of TMP, etc. is.
>
> BTW, I don't do Perl ... and every time I see Perl code it reminds me
> of the reason :)

Yes, I did all of that actually earlier. I put the
log files here

http://12000.org/my_notes/l2hwin/vwin/vwin/vwin.htm

I compared it to when the file is on Linux disk vs. when
the file is on windows disl, and did a diff, no difference in
both log files other than the path to the .tex file ofcourse.

But there is something I did not understand, I assumed
it is Perl thing. Here it is.

I edited latex2html.perl and added this print (I know
how to make print in perl only :)

   dbmopen(%verb, "$TMP_${dd}verb",0755);
   print "TMP=$TMP  all=$TMP_${dd}verb\n ";

When now I run it like this

latex2html -tmp /home/me/TMP t.tex

now I see on the terminal this:

Note: Images will be generated in /home/me/TMP/l2h21964
texexpand V2008 (Revision 1.12)

TMP=/home/me/TMP  all=TMP/verb

Package: loading /usr/share/latex2html/styles/article.perl
Package: loading /usr/share/latex2html/styles/html.perl
Reading ...
TMP=/home/me/TMP  all=TMP/verb
  ++
@@@
TMP=/home/me/TMP  all=TMP/verb

Translating ...
0/1:top of t: for t.htm

  *** translating preamble ***
  *** preamble done ***

NOTICE: that "$TMP_${dd}verb"  prints as TMP/verb

(this is what I called 'all' above). I think ${dd} is
the slash "/". I do not know what _${dd} is supposed
to be.

But $TMP on its own, is the same as I told it to use. So
this part is OK.

I assumed I am just not printing it ok, may be _$ has
special meaning in perl and that why it comes out like
this.

I looked at the folder on widnows disk afterwords to see
if I see a TMP folder there, and I see nothing. But I think it
is deleted quickly after being used by dbm?

So, I do not know what to make of this now. I need to
study perl more to know why 'all' above prints TMP/verb
and not what I expected which is /home/me/TMP/verb.

thanks,
--Nasser