[l2h] renewcommand including \section gets lost

Julius Smith jos at w3k.org
Thu Oct 9 01:58:54 CEST 2003

Here's an odd one:

I have a macro I normally use for section headings defined as follows:

\newcommand{\ksectionalt}[4]{\section[#4]{#3}\chlabel{#1}\index{#2|textbf}}

In a particular document, I tried to override this with a simpler version
as follows:

\renewcommand{\ksectionalt}[4]{\section{#3}}
\begin{document}

It works for LaTeX, but not for l2h.  While I see a message that
ksectionalt has been redefined, it is not found at the end during section
linking.  I see the following in the WARNINGS file:

Doing section links ......
*** wrap_cmd_ksectionalt not defined, cannot wrap \ksectionalt

Changing "renewcommand" to "newcommand" in an htmlonly block works around
the problem. ("providecommand" acts like renewcommand.)

Julius