[kadingira] Babel, LuaLaTeX and legacy documents with 8-bit font encodings

Javier Bezos jbezosl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 16:15:47 CEST 2017

 > Ideally, just replacing pdflatex by lualatex should work without any
 > changes in the code.

Ideally, but that won't happen. At least you must remove inputenc.

 > Currently, Babel always loads hyphenation patterns in UTF-8 encoding,
 > which isn't always correct.

Actually in LuaTeX it pre-loads nothing (well, english, just for
compatibility). It's up to you to define which patterns will be load
with a language.dat file (there is a default one, but the mechanism
was devised to allow multiple configurations, so they are not
exactly «pathed» files). By default, in Unicode engines only
Unicode patterns are loaded, which seems sensible.

A way to load safely a set of patters from within the document itself
(and even combine them) is in my 'todo' list, but priority is not
very high.

Javier