[Indic-dev]

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Tue Apr 22 14:17:26 CEST 2003

Hi,
Is the following possible?  Suppose we want to use a bold devanagari
font with latex.  If we have the .afm file,
using fontinst package, can we create a virtual font which has the same
encoding as velthuis's font from this ?
Once this is done, we can create an appropriate .fd file for use with
velthuis' package.
 I am
reading fontinst package to see if this is possible.  The initial
sections are OK, but it is still not clear to me if such a
thing(creating a virtual font) is possible for fonts other than latin
fonts.  All the examples are related to latin family only. I would like
to know from some expert whether the process outlined above is a
feasible option and
 some pointers as to what should be done.
(Incidentally, the free fonts made available by akruti seems no longer
available. Even the site www.akruti.com <http://www.akruti.com>  doesn't
seem to exist. Have they been withdrawn? There is a bold devanagari
truetype font in the bundle which could be used to create a type 1
postscript font.  )
Best regards,
S. Venkataraman.